Is a shepards pie even called a shepards pie if it’s not made with lamb? Anyhoo… Something to mull over whilst you make this easy and nutritious vegetarian shepards pie!
As I have stopped eating meat and I honestly can’t even bear to buy or cook meat at the moment poor Rupert is now also eating only vegetarian meals! So I wanted to create his favourite meals sans meat! This recipe is so easy to make and doesn’t take long to cook, but if you are lazy like me, you can also bung this all in the slow cooker and it’s ready when you come home at the end of the day!
What do you need:
For the filling
- 2 x cans of chopped tomatoes
- 100g of green/ puy lentils
- 2 x carrots chopped
- 1 x courgette chopped
- 1 x small butternut squash chopped
- 1 x vegetable stock cube + water
For the potatoes
- 4/6 big white or sweet potatoes (I normally do a mix of both)
How to cook:
- Bung the filling ingredients in the slow cooker on medium for at least 4-6 hours, or
- Bung the filling ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 1-2 hours
- Whilst the filling is cooking bring the potatoes to the boil and cook until soft. Mash with milk/water
- When the filling is cooked layer the potato on top and then cook the pie for 20 mins
See! Super easy! Let me know how you get on.